Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Xpedo Baldwin Pedal Review

I have been using my Xpedo Baldwin pedals for almost 3 years now. I feel that with this amount of time I can give an in-depth review. A little about this pedal first, from the quick google searches I have completed it appears Xpedo is owned by Wellgo, most likely lots of pedals can be tracked back to Wellgo but from what I can tell Xpedo is their "higher end" pedals. I can not actually find anything on the box or in the enclosed literature that says "Wellgo" but when google searched the dark corners of the internet do mention the two companies being one in the same.


Okay whatever, let me assure you these are not shitty pedals. Back to some basic specs, the Xpedo Baldwin was built for the Enduro craze, as their website states this pedal will
"bridge the gap between demands of XC racer to the enduro rider".


The pedal comes in a few different colors, and two different spindle materials; Titanium and Cromoly. Ti weighing in at a whopping 292 grams (180lb weight limit) and the CrMo tipping the scales at 332 grams. Baldwins body is made of 6061 CNC Aluminum, It has 3 cartridge type bearings and I will get into that later, they are very easy to rebuild and maintain.

These pedals have been on three different bikes and they have seen some abuse, rock strikes, mud, rain, snow, lack of cleaning/maintaining on a regular basis. They lasted about 2 years before needing an overhaul. I ordered the bearing kit from Xpedo for around $20 with shipping and watched a youtube video (link below). Very easy if you have some very basic tools and minimal mechanical knowledge.

These pedals are a lot tougher than they look, and they are pretty light for a platform style pedal. I use regular SPD cleats with them and have no issues. Like most SPD style pedals they perform great, gets a little harder to get into if your cleat is full of mud but I think that is normal, only pedal I have ever used that performs great in mud is the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters.

The pedals have an adjustable tension system, I have mine set at the lightest setting (easiest to get out of). They with the standard 6 degree float cleats.


All in all these are hands down the best pedals I have ever ridden, durability is very important to me and these have exceeded my expectations. Again very easy to rebuild as well.


Price: (Amazon, CrMo) $94.22. WOW! I honestly cant think of  a better clipless pedal and to cost less than $100...Crazy.


Rebuild Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsyuHKT_yI


Product Weblink:
http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/mtb/140/baldwin
  
Here are a few pictures of mine, remember they are three years old.















No comments:

Post a Comment