Tuesday, February 23, 2016

WTB Breakout Review




I decided to try the WTB Breakout (27 x 2.3). I have been running Vigilante's on front and back but after talking to a friend ordered the Breakout to try on the rear. Out of the box this tire appears to have a faster rolling profile than the Vigilante, lower center knobs but still plenty of side gnar for those whole like to really lean it over in the corners.

Like most WTB's it was a tight fit onto the wheel. I used some soap and water on the bead and the bead popped right in when I hit 40 psi. I set these up tubeless of course.

My first ride on this tire was a technical out and back called Oat Hill Mine in Calistoga, CA. This is a rocky strenuous climb and decent. I did notice a little slippage on the climb here and there but I think it was due to bad body position on some technical spots. Rolling resistance was much better than the vigilante.

I was a little nervous when I started heading down but quickly gained confidence when this tire performed just as it appeared it would. It held in the corners and more importantly braked very well. I didn't feel like I had to get on my brakes any sooner. All in all the Breakout/Vigilante is a great combo for those dry trails, loam and loose over hardpack. I haven't tried them in "wet" conditions yet but I am assuming they are not a very good tire in mud, but that isn't what they are for so no love lost.

This combo reminds me a lot of my old favorite go to combo, Hans Dampf/Magic Mary.

I know this is a Breakout review but since I used it as a combo (Vigilante Front) here are my final numbers.

Breakout 2.3 by the numbers:
Durability 4/5
Cornering 4/5
Rolling Resistance 4/5
Braking 3/5

Vigilante 2.3 by the numbers:
Durability 3/5
Cornering 5/5
Rolling Resistance 3/5
Braking 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment