Monday, November 24, 2014

Tire Review: Schwalbe Hans Dampf

(Front after 500 miles)

I have had Hans Dampf 26 x 2.35 TrailStars mounted on my Knolly Chilcotin for a few months now. The Trail Star is the softer durometer tire. I recently purchased a new rear Pace Star, medium durometer. (both pics are of the trail star) I run these on Stans Flow Ex wheels, tubeless of course, 22 psi front, 30 psi rear. (I am a heavy rider)

A little about the tire; they are very true to there size. They come in around 700-800 grams according to Schwalbe. Which is respectable for that large of a tire. So down to the nitty gritty. These tires are great when riding loose over hardpack conditions. I wouldn't put a trail star on the back again as I ride a lot of rock gardens and dry conditions. These tires hook up great in the corners when your air pressure is set right, can get loose if ridden to high...I know thats common sense but these seem to be very touch with just a few pounds to much.

The biggest complaint I have about the Hans Dampf is the price and the durability. Durability will be an issue with any "soft" tire though so I just choose the harder compound (pace star) for the rear. The tread pattern is excellent and has been used by many name brand companies.

Pros:
Great selection, 3 or 4 different durometers
Good cornering, transitional tread is great
Easy tubeless set up.
Fast Rolling

Cons:
PRICE ($70 on Arts)
Durability
Air Pressure sensitive.

All in all this a great tire from a great company, if you are not worried about dropping $70 per tire and you understand that softer, grippier tires mean less life you won't be disappointed. I personally am going to try the Magic Mary's next. I want something similar but a little more aggressive so I the MM's will fit the bill.

(Rear after 500 miles)

1 comment:

  1. best vape mods is an battery device for vaping. It's just like aegis geekvape mini kit are the important things of vapes, hope more people can enjoy vaping, and by the way, other vape products like geekvape flint starter kit is also necessary!

    ReplyDelete