Sunday, May 4, 2014

2013 Diamondback Sortie Comp Review

As I mentioned before my first full suspension bike was my 2013 Diamondback Sortie Comp. I ordered it directly from Diamondback. I had read mixed reviews about it online and was up in the air about it for a while. I then decided to bite the bullet and order it, I read the component list (you can find it below) and thought that I couldn't find a better deal, the bang for my buck was much better than purchasing a Santa Cruz or Specialized (not that I would want to now but back then I thought they were the best of the best). 

So onto the reviews and upgrades. I received my bike in December of 2012 and took it to a local bike shop and had it put together and tuned, I was at China Camp the next day! I had ridden a few of my friends bikes and quickly realized that Diamondback had something going here that really worked well. My buddies StumpJumper had a lot more pedal bob and when climbing it was almost a must to lock out the rear shock. On my Sortie the shock was vertical and he knucklebox suspension was a lot lower, I was able to leave my Fox CTD in "trail" and climb with very little pedal bob. 

The downside to the Knucklebox is its weight, it is a big piece of metal, strong as Supermans elbow though. 

So overtime I started upgrading things here and there, my rear free hub failed after a year of riding so I upgraded to some CrankBrother Cobalt 2 wheels. These improved my climbing and overall weight a lot. 

My biggest weight cut came when I went to a 1x10 drive train. I removed the triple chainrings and put a RaceFace Narrow Wide 32t on. My climbing was miserable for awhile but I got used to it. After my wheels and drivetrain upgrade my bike weighed in at 30.6 lbs. Still pretty heavy for a XC/Trail bike.

When I purchased the RaceFace Narrow Wide I also upgraded to an XT Shadow Plus rear mech, a deraillure with a clutch is a must if you want to forgo the chain guide. 

I just sold this bike a few weeks ago and should be getting my new Knolly Chilcotin in a few days. I did like the Sortie but I felt I needed a little more for the riding I am doing now which is a lot of all mountain, with technical climbs and descent's. I was putting a lot of money into maintenance and not because of failure but because I was riding my bike very hard. 

I would recommend the Sortie Comp for anyone who in into Trail riding or looking for that first full suspension bike that doesn't want to break the bank but wants to get quality middle of the road components. The Sortie is a great mix for the person who wants a bike with more travel than a XC platform but isn't ready for that All Mountain beast yet. 


2013 Diamondback Sortie Comp Components

  • Frame: Diamondback Sortie 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum with a hooded hydroformed top tube, formed down tube, 9mmx135mm vertical drop out and Knuckle Box Technology
  • Rear Shock: Fox Float CTD, "LV" eyelet 200x57mm Air w/ rebound adj, Climb, Trail, Descend lever
  • Fork: Fox 32 FLoat CTD Air, 140mm travel, open cartridge, with ext. rebound knob, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers
  • Headset: Zerostack, shallow steel cups, Loose ball bearing 1 1/8"
  • Cranks: Shimano FCM552 Dyna-Sys 10spd Crankset w/Shimano outboard bearing BB w/ replaceable rings 24/32/42t
  • Bottom Bracket: Shimano outboard bearing BB
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore dual pull, down swing, 34.9
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT SGS Shadow Type 10spd
  • Shifter: Shimano Deore 10spd Rapidfire
  • Cogset (Casset/Freewheel): Shimano HG62 10spd Cassette (11-36t)
  • Chain: Shimano HG54 10spd
  • Front Hub: 32h SL-6 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount
  • Rear Hub: 32h SL-6 Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount
  • Spokes: Black 14g Stainless Steel
  • Rims: 32h SL-6 Doublewall Disc
  • Tires: KENDA Slant 6 26x2.1
  • Brakes: Shimano M455 Hydraulic Disc w/ 6-bolt, 180mm frt / 160mm rear Rotors
  • Brake Levers: Shimano Deore M505 hydraulic brake levers w/reach adj and hinge clamp.
  • Pedals: DB Toe Clip Compatible alloy
  • Handlebar: DB Lazer Series 31.8mm low rise
  • Grips: DB4L 135mm Kraton
  • Stem: Easton EA50 31.8mm
  • Seat: WTB Vigo Comp
  • Seat Post: Easton EA50 Double bolt clamp 31.6mm


2 comments:

  1. Seems to be a cool bike. I´m considering to buy a new one, even it´s 3 years old. Great -but old- components. I practice enduro and full suspension 140mm fork is a lot better than my specialized hardtail 130mm fork travel. http://bttchapala.blogspot.mx/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the Sortie, mine is actually still getting used by my dad. Seriously tough bike, its not a super light CX machine but it is one heck of a trail bike. Hope you enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete